question about change in deny_info config option

From: Joe Ramey <ramey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:46:44 -0600 (CST)

Many months ago, early in the squid-1.2 beta development, the
deny_info config option was changed. It used to take a URL as an
argument and it would instruct squid to generate a redirect to that
URL. Now it takes a custom error page as an argument and the squid
returns that page directly to the client.

I am running some squid 1.1s and some squid 2.0s. I only recently had
a need for the deny_info feature and started using it. Then I noticed
the difference between the 1.1 and the 2.0 behavior.

I find the old behavior, using the redirect, to be very convenient, as
this allows us to keep our custom error messages for the deny_info
feature all on a single server. Of course, it's not that big a deal
to copy the custom error messages to each of my squids, but it is one
more thing to update everywhere.

I am just curious as to why this change was made. I am sure there's a
good reason and I'm just not seeing it now (performance maybe?). I'm
thinking of hacking the old behavior back into my own squids, but if
there's a good reason not to do this, please let me know.

Joe