Re: miss_access and being nice.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:47:26 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Karl Ferguson wrote:

> The answer at the moment is to allow the
> cache-digest sibling to have miss_access on your server.

Correct.

> When
> experimenting with that with a sibling cache of ours we could between a 20
> and 40% miss rate hence they were using us for transit.

I am not sure what are you trying to say. Did your trusted sibling start
using you as a parent to fetch misses? Or did your cache digest caused 20-40%
false hits? If former, digests are irrelevant. If latter, you should tune
your digest generation (e.g. default refresh pattern ".") to avoid high false
hit ratios. Good digests should not cause 40% false hits, in general.

Alex.

P.S. As for the automated detection of errors, the code to report errors to
downstream proxies is already there -- Squid adds X-Squid-Error header,
eliminating the need for any HTML parsing. The hard part, namely re-fetching
the object, is yet to be coded.