Re: Abnormal page faults and TCP connection ratio

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 01:42:43 +0100

Azfar Kazmi wrote:
> With these values, the ratio between page faults and TCP connections
> is very high. Page Faults divided by TCP connections always remain
> around 1.4-1.6. Can someone suggest me whats wrong.

Most likely to little memory.

Please note that page faults is not a sign that things are wrong.
It is only a sign that something MAY be wrong. Other measures are
needed to determine if something is wrong, and then what the
cause is.

> Due to this abnormality, my squid machine usually extremely slows
> down. So much that it takes minutes to run Pine on it!!

Very much out of memory. Possibly combined with saturated disk
which makes the situation even worse, especially if the cache is
on the same disk as you swap and/or you are using IDE drives.

The best cure is most likely to add some more memory to your machine.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker