Re: Satisfying IMS from HEAD or IMS would help where browser cac

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 01:23:40 +0100

David J Woolley wrote:

> That would be better, assuming that it doesn't break with things like
> content negotiation, but squid already has HEAD caching, so I thought
> it might be a smaller change to satisfy IMS from HEAD than from IMS.

The big issue is to satisfy IMS from something when neither HEAD or GET
is cached. Currently Squid contacts the origin server on every request
when this happens.

Caching of HEAD requests is a side issue with a very low priority
compared to IMS operations.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker