Re: Satisfying IMS from HEAD or IMS would help where browser cac

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:47:15 +0100

> Caching of HEAD requests is a side issue with a very low priority
> compared to IMS operations.

While I agree that, assuming the cache has enough knowledge to know
the scope of validity of a 304 response, that would be a better
solution, in the context of a small corporate cache, I can revalidate
entries which were TCP-MISS/304's by scanning the logs and
occasionally running a batch job to refetch them, so having IMS
satisfied from cache would allow me to do this with much less disk
overhead and would probably be a necessary step in a full IMS
strategy, anyway.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>