Re: Compile options documentation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:46:15 +0100

Mohammed Hamed wrote:
> should --enable-async-io speeup the cache ? doesn't it produce
> any problems on my Linux 2.0.35 squid2p2 configuration ?

--enable-async-io may speed up your cache if the bottleneck is
disk I/O. If your limiting factor is CPU speed then async-io
will make you cache slower.

Also, on Linux you should make sure you have the latest libc6
release. async-io requires threading, and early versions of
libc6 or most versions of libc5 can't handle threading properly.

The rule of thumb is:
1. Begin by not using async-io
2. If it seems that disk-I/O is a limiting factor for your
caching system then add one or more SCSI disks to get more
physical disk spindles that can take the workload and enable
async-io. The extra space is only a bonus and not the reason
why you should add more drives.

> what is the Effect of :
> --enable-ipf-transparent , isn't it already supported in squid
> running it as both http accelerator and proxy using kernel port
> redirection ?

It's needed if you are using IP-Filter to do port redirection,
which I assume you aren't since you mentioned you are using Linux.

IP-filter is a kernel based port redirection package for many
other platforms like BSD and Solaris.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker