Re: What is squid able to handle?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:56:01 +0100

Peter Salvage wrote:

> Many thanks for the informative reply! The RSS and SIZE are both
> at 520 on my machine. What I am trying to see is if I need to
> upgrade and/or add more memory, which is why I'm asking these
> seemingly foolish questions :-)

Seems that there is no immediate need to upgrade memory on your machine.

Other memory related parameters you need to watch are the disk cache
size. Disk cache is what's reported as buffers/cache by free. It should
be around 50% of your memory to maintain good performance. The more
heavily used your cache is, the more memory is needed for disk
buffers/cache.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker