Re: Redirecting through proxies/Multiple proxy authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:32:04 +0100

Chris Hughes wrote:

> Is it possible to force a network of squid proxies to redirect requests
> via each other, due to firewall restrictions?

Yep.

> I haven't seen anything which will _force_ the proxy to always go via the
> other proxy

never_direct forces Squid to select a parent proxy. It will never go
direct
if never_direct is true on the request.

always_direct is the opposite. Forces squid to go direct regardless if
it
could use a parent or not (it also overrides never_direct).

cache_peer_access selects if a parent can be used to satisfy a given
request.

> Second question. ;) Is there any solution to the problem of having a
> single user using more than one proxy (which all need authentication)
> without having to type in their user/password for each proxy (using LDAP
> authentication, btw).

No. A user is asked authentication for each and every unique proxy name
he contacts. This is a security measure built into the clients and not
something which Squid enforces.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker