File Descriptors.

From: Ricardo Patara <patara@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:44:48 -0300

Hello all.
We are trying to install a transparento proxy in our backbone. But there
are some problems I could'nt found out any solution.
The number of fd is not enough. So I followed the sugestions in the
FAQS. At that time I was using Linux. I installed the patch to incrise
the max number of fd in the kernel. But, simply, squid ignored this
value, I was compiled with de default max fd number, 1064. The kernel
was set up to allow max fd to 8096.
So I decided change the SO. I installed FreeBSD 3.0-STABLE. The way we
change the max fd in the kernel is easier in this last SO. Maybe, I
tought, the patc I applied in Linux was not completly correct.
But the problem dind't change. I set up the max fd in the kernel (by
sysctl), and runned ./configure. The max fd supported by squid was 1064
yet. No way to change it.
I really need more than 1064 fd.
Does anyone know something about it?

TIA.
Best Regards.

--
  Ricardo Patara         ANSP - an Academic Network at Sa~o Paulo
  Analista de Redes          Fundaca~o de Amparo `a Pesquisa S.P.