Re: Squid 2.0p2 FTP and VMS FTPd's

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:16:43 +0100

trn@waea.trn.nu wrote:

> They really seem to work badly... any suggestions?

Make a detailed description of how to read VMS directory listings.
src/ftp.c requires a separate block for parsing VMS listings.

> ftp://vms.gnu.ai.mit.edu/gnu-vms/software/
> ftp://ftp.openvms.digital.com/
> ftp://ftp.madgoat.com

I have some trouble to help as our firewall chokes on the data channel
management to these servers. I can't even get a directory listing using
plaing FTP commands except from ftp.openvms.digital.com where only 2
files exists and none of them seems to be readable.

> When you switch to plain directory, there are a lot of missing
> files and other such inconsistancies that just make things useless.

Plain directory listings seems to be utterly broken in 2.1.PRE3 and
probably earlier Squid 2.X releases. It doesn't even work properly when
contacting a UNIX server.. I'll look into fixing this for UNIX servers
at least, but I probably won't hack it to detect VMS subdirectories
(name.DIR;1 can't be used to CWD on these servers, even if they list
directory names on this form.).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker