Re: time offset

From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:26:28 +0100

In message <364DB3C9.5142@mail.speechmail.com>
          Rolf Schmidt <rolf@mail.speechmail.com> wrote:

> This is a nice message but a lie. Then it is now 17:13.52 in germany and
> of course still saturday! So ftpget or squid are 5 hours ahead.
What does `date` say?
Something like "Sat Nov 14 17:13:52 MET"?
                                    ^^^
If not, you haven't set up your timezone correctly. On *BSD systems it's
often a link /etc/localtime->/usr/share/zoneinfo/MET - if your computer
is located in this TZ of course.

> The computer of course has the right settings and the hardware clock is
> running in local time, which is MEZ.
Why? My computers (running NetBSD+RISC OS) all have their hardware clock
set to UTC/GMT/ZULU/+0. IIRC only DOS (windows?) cannot cope with
timezones and their offsets correctly and demands hardware clocks
running localtime.

BTW:
It would be a nice thing, to get squid reporting in local time instead
of GMT.

Bye,
  Thilo.

--
Mir ist mein Signature entlaufen :-(. Wer es findet, sende es bitte an
Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE zurück. Danke!