Re: Authentication by acl

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:34:55 +0100 (CET)

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981112134810.13448B-100000@crucigera.fysh.org> you write:

> Is it possible to do different user authentications based on the url a
>user is trying to get? Basically I would like to be able to pass the

After the 2.0 release many people have mailed me about these kind of things.
It was possible with the old scheme but with the new scheme (using external
authentication programs) it has become more difficult or not possible at
all.

>authentication program the acl the user is trying to get to.
>
>acl all_access dst 1.1.1.0/255.255.255.0
>acl restrict_access dst 1.1.2.0/255.255.255.0
>acl password proxy_auth
>http_access allow password
>
> (scuse me if I've got the rules messed up)
>
> So if a user was attempting to get to a site within the 'all_access' acl,
>the authentication_program gets
>
><user> <passwd> all_access
>
> Can this be done? If not, would it be hard to impliment, or should it be
>done in some other way (or am I stupid for wanting to do such a thing ;) ?

The current specification for external authentication program says that
everything after the first space until the end of line is the password
(which can contain spaces itself).

I think we should start a redesign phase for the external authentication
method which would make it much more extensible (and maybe integrating the
redirector API at the same time so we can have one API for both).

See for example

        http://www.highwind.com/doc/config-typhoonbreeze.html#advanced

Arjan

--