Re: Authentication by acl

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:30:21 +0100

Williams Jon wrote:

> On a side topic, has anyone looked at a combination of userid- and
> IP-based authentication? For example, use the userid/password to
> check the first access in a given time slot, and then fall back to
> IP address ACL for the remainder of the time? Although it wouldn't
> do much, I was thinking that it could help improve time, especially
> for users on slow/unreliable links.

A similar question has been asked before but for a completely
different reason (stop people from sharing each others login+password).

I don't think what you propose will give any noticeable performance
improvement as the browsers sends the authentication on each request
after a successful authenticated request. This is why you only have
to log in once.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker