NCSA_Auth questions

From: Ed Lawson <elawson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:28:36 +0000

I have downloaded and installed Squid 2.1 Release. I have installed
the NCSA_auth module. I created a passwd file in .../squid/etc
directory with htpasswd.

I have added the line for the auth_program noted in the config file and
when running the cache.log shows the NCSA_auth is up and running. I did
not change anyuthing before compiling Squid.

Am I correct that by adding the correct acl line i should have username
and password authentication?

Using the default conf file with only the change for the external
program results in no access.
Adding an acl line which says: acl aclname proxy_auth username REQUIRED
also
results in no access.

If I comment out the acl line and edit the http_access line to allow,
then the cache works.

Where and what acl line is needed to have username and password
authentication work?
Did i miss something in the compile and install?

TIA

BTW the compile and install was absolutely painless.

Ed Lawson