Re: authenticated users fail

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:56:33 +0100 (CET)

In article <E89222CF3FC8D111B17500805FBB2B55F169A6@exchange.media-saturn.com> you write:

>yesterday we had a strange phenomen, I was called that noone could use
>the proxy anymore, what i verified is: squid would authenticate you, but
>not fetch anything. Watching the log showed that users that don't need
>authentication still worked. In cache.log i had some entries like "FD
>20: Connection from Authenticator #10 is closed, disabling". But
>authentication still worked in some way, since the user/pass window
>popped up....

Most authentication code is in Squid itself, only the username/password
check is done by the external authentication program. And if that program
crashes, unpredictable results can occur...

Arjan

PS: I see a lot of discussion/questions on the list about authentication and
    I hope to read and answer those messages during the weekend. The next 3
    days I'll be at the International SANE '98 conference in Maastricht, the
    Netherlands. Maybe I'll see some of your there :-) (if you cannot find
    me, contact the 'Origin' stand, nr. 19).