Re: Why squid 2.1 REALEASE is so big?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:16:27 +0100

Roger Peqa Escobio wrote:

> I don't understand why the 2.1 REALEASE is so big ( > 2 MB)
> (the version 2.0 Pacth2 is only 1.3 MB)

Perhaps you have stripped your 2.0.patch2 binary? My 2.0.RELEASE binary
is 2.4 MB or 440Kb stripped, and my 2.1.RELEASE is about the same size
(a few bytes smaller actually)

the file command tells you if a binary is stripped or not.

You do not gain any memory from stripping a binary. It is only the
on-disk file size that gets smaller. The extra information is used by
debuggers and is not loaded into memory when you start a program. The
downside from stripping a binary is that you can't use a debugger on it
(needed to get a stack trace, which is obligatory if you want to report
a problem where Squid crashes).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker