Re: Windows NT & Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:47:40 +0100

Nicolas Rudolf - IReS Strasbourg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to run Squid for transparent caching under Windows NT, but i
> read in the faq :"Squid does not yet perform well on Windows/NT."
>
> What does it exactly means ? I would have your experience on running Squid
> under Windows NT 4.0 ?

Squid is not ported to NT, but it is (or at least was some versions
back) possible to compile and run it on NT using Cygnus GNU-Win32
(CygWin32) toolset.

The initial tests indicated that Squid on NT+Cygwin runs a lot slower
than on Linux with the same hardware, but this I don't think anyone has
done any real tests. You should also understand that NT is not a
platform where Squid is actively tested, and there may be bugs in
Cygin/Squid/NT that has serious impact on the service level. It may work
fine for you but we can't guarantee anything as it is a mostly untested
platform.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker