Re: other icons..

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:29:45 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> David J N Begley wrote:
> > Is it possible to configure Squid (2.1) to permit downloading of
> > other icons (in addition to those used for FTP pages), such as
> > those included from proxy error pages (so that the error page and
> > the icons don't have to exist on separate servers/software)?
> Yes. You can preload any number of icons.
> Look for the "internal" entries in etc/mime.conf, and add what you need.

To test, I had a look at mime.conf and found:

  ^internal-menu$ - anthony-dir.gif - ascii

I placed a new graphic into the icons directory, same ownership/perms as the
other (anthony-*.gif) icons, then added to the mime.conf file:

  ^internal-backgrnd$ - backgrnd.gif - ascii

Restarted Squid (squid -k reconfigure) and tried the following URLs (URL
format taken from the output of an FTP page):

  http://...:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-dir.gif OK
  http://...:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/backgrnd.gif FAIL
  http://...:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/internal-menu FAIL
  http://...:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/internal-backgrnd FAIL

All failures resulted in the same error - the user sees:

  ERROR
  While trying to process the request:

  GET /squid-internal-static/icons/backgrnd.gif HTTP/1.0
[...]

  The following error was encountered:

      Invalid Request

  Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:

      Missing or unknown request method
      Missing URL
      Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
      Request is too large
      Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests
      Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

I think I'm going need a bit more help than "add what you need", Henrik. ;-)

Which reminds me - given that an FTP page could be cached using these icon
references, that means you should alter ACLs to permit remote sites (would
peers be enough?) to access "/squid-internal-static/" objects, right?

Thanks..

dave