Re: digest only peering?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:41:51 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:
>
> > So long as you are aware that the siblings wind up downloading your false digest hits on them, and
> > then giving the objects to you. The owners of the siblings may not like that, or it may result in IP
> > based access control problems at remote sites. We had to go back to ICP for that reason. (This is on
> > Squid2.0 patch 2 anyway).
>
> How can IP based access control on remote sites distinguish false hit from a
> true hit or ICP hit from a digest hit?

They can't, unless you want to start checking false hits in the last
digest (more cpu work) and supply the object if you did indeed advertise
it in a previous cache-digest.

Personally, patching squid to check the X-Squid-Error field and retry the
request at another sibling/parent/direct seems appropriate. (on a failed
request)

--==--
Bruce.

Sysadmin, TheHub.