Re: digest only peering?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:07:12 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Jose Manuel Sanchez Bretones wrote:

> Chris.Tilbury@warwick.ac.uk said:
> > Is anyone out there running their cache with some siblings (which they
> > don't control) peering only via cache-digests (ie, no ICP queries?)
>
> At CICA we're testing sibling relationships with some of the cache
> servers in our network using cache-digest and not icp.
>
> Up to now the results are quite promising: we have a cache-digest-hit
> rate close to 2% for each one of the experimental siblings, the
> false-hit rate is, approximately, 30%, and the icp traffic is (of
> course) 0.

cache-digests work wonder when all of your siblings can deal with false
hits... but if you are peering with other isps who are as stingy with
money as yourself *grin*, the false hits are too high, and the customer
complaints are too stressful (why am I getting access denied from other
isp? I paid *you* money, give me service dammit)

Having said that, I'll swear by 'em for my internal setups, just not
whilst peering with proxies outside my control.

--==--
Bruce.