Re: Foundry Networks ServerIron

From: Stefan Monnier <b@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Nov 1998 14:03:38 -0500

[ apologies for plugging your email address in my From field, but
  now that the list is closed I can't post anymore (apparently because
  I'm only on the digest list and the accept2 symlink to
  ../squid-users-digest/dist hasn't been made). I contacted the -request
  address a few times but never got any reply. ]

> work with my squid server, I can save a lot of money and avoid the hassles
> of making sure my users have their browsers configured properly. If you

You can also block port 80 on your firewall: this doesn't require any
transparent proxying and makes sure that *your users* will want to configure
their proxy setting correctly.
It's generally better if your users use a proxy setting (and even better if
it's done through a proxy-autoconfig) since it gives you much more flexibility
(and it allows proxying requests to other ports (not that anyone cares) and to
FTP).

        Stefan