Re: Multilink, Multiproxy

From: Ian Eure <ieure@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:51:44 -0800

Andrew Titheridge wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I have 2 internet links and 2 proxy servers, each one routed to use the
> other link.
>
> I want to know if there is a way I can setup my web browser for HTTP proxy1
> and yet make use of BOTH the internet links.
>
> Is there anyway I can do this ?

You have a couple options. If your OS/ISP supports multilink PPP, you can do
that, for a single net connection that is 2x the speed of the individual
connections. This is the most elegant since you only have one route off your
local network. Or, you can have two proxy systems, each with a dialup account,
each with a squid, both set up as neighbors, so they check the other proxy
before getting the object from the net, and one more squid on a different box
set to load-balance the two with the dialups. Clients have the 3rd proxy set
in their browsers. The third way of doing this is to set up a multi-ip dns
entry for your local network. Say the first squid box is at 192.168.128.1 and
the second is at 192.168.128.2. Make a single dns entry, say ``squid'', that
has both addresses. This way, BIND will return a random address for each
request, balancing the load. To do this, just edit your forward zone, and add
two entries for the same name with different IPs. Reload bind and away you go.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;            - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :