Re: Microsoft (need I say more).

From: Niall Doherty <ndoherty@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:07:24 +0000

Hi,

> If I am not mistaken there is a setting somewhere telling IE which HTTP
> version it should use when talking to proxies. Try setting this to HTTP
> 1.0.. I have no clue why such a setting should be needed, but a guess is
> that perhaps MS failed to implement proper version detection...

Yes MS are completely clueless. The settings are ridiculous. The
browser should really figure them out for itself. Anyway, here's
the instructions our users get (we're using Automatic Proxy Config)
and it seems to work OK-ish:

---
From the menu bar, select View | Internet Options....
Select the Connection tab.
Ensure the "Access the Internet through a proxy server" option in
the "Proxy Server" pane is unchecked.
Select "Configure" inside the "Automatic configuration" pane.
Enter the appropriate URL*.
Select the "Advanced" tab.
Under the HTTP/1.1 section:
  Uncheck "Use HTTP/1.1 "
  Check "Use HTTP/1.1 through proxy connections"
---
* URL = our automatic proxy URL.
If those last 2 options are checked there will be problems. I
have no idea why it works like this ! Can anyone shed any light
on why MS do it like this ?
Cheers,
Niall
--