Re: Microsoft (need I say more).

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 00:07:06 +0100

Mark Rogers wrote:

> Ok, is it my imagination or do MS products really screw up with a
> proxy?

Hard to tell which screws up worst. IE or Netscape.. Both has major
flaws in some (or most) versions.

> Running linux with netscape and I never see an error (almost). Load up
> windows and run IE 4 (or 5b2) and the pages often need to be refreshed
> and reloaded before they display properly. Pages tend to get broken
> images and other errors in the page (only half loading etc). And it
> seems like every 10th page gets "connection reset" messages.

Which Squid version is this?

Is anything seen in logs/cache.log?

If I am not mistaken there is a setting somewhere telling IE which HTTP
version it should use when talking to proxies. Try setting this to HTTP
1.0.. I have no clue why such a setting should be needed, but a guess is
that perhaps MS failed to implement proper version detection...

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker