Re: digest only peering?

From: Allen Smith <easmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:39:50 -0500

On Nov 23, 11:30pm, Alex Rousskov (possibly) wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Allen Smith wrote:
>
> Err.. As far as I can see, you are using request URL to do a digest lookup.
> That will not work as digests are built using object "keys", not URLs:
> int cacheDigestTest(const CacheDigest * cd, const cache_key * key);
>
> Perhaps you want to do something like this:
>
> +#if USE_CACHE_DIGESTS
> + if (answer == 0 && store_digest) {
> + answer = cacheDigestTest(store_digest, e->key);
> + }
> +#endif

Oh. Oops... this sort of thing is why I requested for someone in the
situation of needing this to check this out.

> Even that is not bullet-proof, but should work in most [reasonable] cases.

Hmm... if the cache digest changed between the peer's loading of it
and the reception by one's cache of the request, yes, unless I have
yet again misunderstood the inner workings of squid. What other cases can
people think of in which this wouldn't work?

> Overall, it seems like a useful addition similar to a miss_access option.
> Something like "false_hit_access" (serve misses if we are advertising them as
> hits)?
>
> answer = store_digest &&
> cacheDigestTest(store_digest,e->key) &&
> aclCheckFast(Config.accessList.false_hit, &ch);
>
> However, I am certainly not an access control guru.
>
> Any comments?

I'm not sure why we _wouldn't_ want to serve misses if we're
advertising them as hits...

        -Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu