Re: illigal character in hostname

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:19:22 +0100

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Robin Breyl wrote:

]Squid compiled fine, but... I get two major problems.
]First it is complaining about the hostname of the machine
]it runs on:
]
]> urlParse: Illegal character in hostname 'mymachine1_0'
]
]Changing the hostname is not an option in our environment here,
]so I wonder if this check for the own hostname can be disabled
]either in the config file, or in the source code.

Recompile your squid with the ALLOW_HOSTNAME_UNDERSCORES defined, e.g. say
make distclean; CFLAGS="-O -DALLOW_HOSTNAME_UNDERSCORES=1" ./configure ...
Otherwise, have a look into src/url.c

]The second issue is about the fact, that I have to run two
]squids in a hirarchy. The "inner" has no dnsserver it can reach.
]This "inner" proxy should just forward the requests to the
]"outer" proxy (this setup is working with the old squid 1.2).
]So the "inner" proxy has all dns lookups disabled.
]
]> cache_dns_program /opt/squid-2.1/bin/dnsserver
]> dns_children 0
]> dns_defnames off
]> dns_nameservers none

This is *not* a good idea. You will need DNS lookups even for determining
your parents, peers, etc. From a previous discussion on this mailing list,
I understand that with that definition squid will block completely on
every name lookup, forward or otherwise.

Inner proxy, outer proxy ???

<german>
Soll die Konstruktion in die IS Hierarchie eingebaut werden? Ist die
zweifache Wartezeit sinnvoll?
</german>

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726