illigal character in hostname

From: Robin Breyl <robin.breyl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:17:59 +0100

Hello,

I'm evaluating squid 2.1 PATCH 1 as replacement for our
rather old version of squid. (running on Solaris 2.5.1 on
a Sun Sparc SS20)

Squid compiled fine, but... I get two major problems.
First it is complaining about the hostname of the machine
it runs on:

> urlParse: Illegal character in hostname 'mymachine1_0'

Changing the hostname is not an option in our environment here,
so I wonder if this check for the own hostname can be disabled
either in the config file, or in the source code.

The second issue is about the fact, that I have to run two
squids in a hirarchy. The "inner" has no dnsserver it can reach.
This "inner" proxy should just forward the requests to the
"outer" proxy (this setup is working with the old squid 1.2).
So the "inner" proxy has all dns lookups disabled.

In the config file of the squid 2.1P1 I set the follwing options:

> cache_dns_program /opt/squid-2.1/bin/dnsserver
> dns_children 0
> dns_defnames off
> dns_nameservers none

But the squid still refuses to run at all. The debug messages show
this:

> FATAL: No dnsservers allocated
> Squid Cache (Version 2.1.PATCH1): Terminated abnormally.

Since "no dnsservers" is exactly what I intended for this proxy,
I'm not sure, what's so FATAL about it...
The "outer" proxy has dnsservers accessable and works fine.

Any help welcome.

                Robin Breyl

  |   Robin Breyl               Geno RZ                             |
  |                             Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 2-14         |
  |                             60325 Frankfurt am Main             |
  |   E-Mail (Office):          robin.breyl@gis-online.de           |
  |   E-Mail (Home):            robin.breyl@frankfurt.netsurf.de    |
  |   Tel.: +49 69 / 75690-369  Fax.: +49 69 / 75690-925            |