Re: illigal character in hostname

From: Franklin R. Jones <grat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:34:36 -0700

> Hello,
>
> I'm evaluating squid 2.1 PATCH 1 as replacement for our
> rather old version of squid. (running on Solaris 2.5.1 on
> a Sun Sparc SS20)
>
> Squid compiled fine, but... I get two major problems.
> First it is complaining about the hostname of the machine
> it runs on:
>
> > urlParse: Illegal character in hostname 'mymachine1_0'
>
> Changing the hostname is not an option in our environment here,
> so I wonder if this check for the own hostname can be disabled
> either in the config file, or in the source code.

        You might re-consider your options then. This is against DNS
naming conventions (since 1989). RFC1123 & RFC952: only alpha-numeric
and "-" are allowed in host names. A workaround in squid exists with
"ALLOW_HOSTNAME_UNDERSCORES" defined, but that only fixes the "local"
problem. Set an alias to a second IP is another option. fixing the
broken hostnames is a better one.

> The second issue is about the fact, that I have to run two
> squids in a hirarchy. The "inner" has no dnsserver it can reach.
> This "inner" proxy should just forward the requests to the
> "outer" proxy (this setup is working with the old squid 1.2).
> So the "inner" proxy has all dns lookups disabled.

not sure what the options here are if any.