Re: illigal character in hostname

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:16:44 +0100

Robin Breyl wrote:

> Since "no dnsservers" is exactly what I intended for this proxy,
> I'm not sure, what's so FATAL about it...

Because the Squid code no longer supports running without dnsserver
processes. It's needed even if you do not use DNS. The comments in
squid.conf is misleading.

> The "outer" proxy has dnsservers accessable and works fine.

You won't get hurt by having the inner proxy run at least one
dnsserver process. If the inner Squid is properly configured
then it will never call the dnsserver process.

Remember to start Squid with the -D option if your inner proxy
has no DNS access.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker