ftp via squid behind firewall not possible ?

From: Michael P. Wagner <mwagner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:58:24 +0100

Hi,

I can't get squid to retrieve files via ftp from behind a firewall.

The setup is as follows:
[browser] - [inner firewall with squid]-demilitarized zone-[outer
firewall with squid]-internet
which is not to unusual I think.

The browser should be able to ftp files from the internet - thats the
goal.

I configured the outer squid as a parent of the inner one.
However I configure the inner squid it always tries to retrieve the file

itself,
it never requests the file from the outer squid although a icp request
is sent and
answered correctly (for files in the outer cache).

What am I missing here, or is it just plain impossible ?

Firewall settings and acls are not the problem!
Access from the browser machine to the outer cache is not an option and
using a ftp-gateway on the outer firewall neither (not supported by
squid).

Thanks

    Mike