Re: Run squid without cache directories

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:03:10 +0100

> > You can't. Squid requires a cache of at least 100MB to work properly.
>
> I'm quite new to configuring squid, but I have a squid running with
> on parent cache as proxy-only. The Cache_dir is defined as

A sorry. I was a bit tired when I replied.

You can't have a Squid without any cache_dir configuration. At least one
is required.

You can have a Squid wich doesn't store anyfetched objects on disk.

acl all src 0/0
no_cache deny all

and by having the no-cache option on any cache_peer lines you have in
squid.conf.

It will still store some internal objects, but not much. (icons + store
digest if enabled), so this store directory should be at least a few MB
in size. If you like then you may use fewer L1 and L2 directories than
the default configuration (in this case 1 1 is a reasonable config).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker