Re: transparent squid on Solaris+cisco.

From: Doug Thayer <thayer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:25:15 -0600 (CST)

> I was having the exact same problem on my Solaris box. I was testing it
> out on a Sparc20 Sol2.6.. I switched to linux and in about a day got it
> to work...

I also had the same problem on a Sun SS1000 Solaris 2.4 machine.

One thing I did that I haven't seen yet is that I went ahead and installed
tproxyd (with ip_filter support) and tried that. I got a lot of messages
in syslog about 'ioctl(SIOCGNATL) : no such process' (best approx. from
memory). I then installed tproxyd on a linux machine, redirecting to the
exact same squid setup, and it worked like a charm. My conclusion is that
ip_filters (this was version 3.2.9) has problems.

Someone posted a week ago that they had troubles redirecting from eth0 to
lo, and suggested redirecting from eth0 to eth0 (different port). I tried
that as well on the sun machine but had intermittent problems with resets
as before (although sometimes it would work fine). Pretty much the same
as the original poster describes below.

The best troubleshooting idea I have found so far for the transparent
proxying thing is to change the default route (gateway) on your work machine
to point at the squid proxy. This sends all your packets through that
machine exactly as if they were redirected by the router. If you can send
your packets through that machine (without proxy set on your browser) and
get out to sites, then the transparent proxy is set up right and you can
proceed on to the redirection part.

Doug