My proxy server runs faster when it isn't transparent..?

From: Eyal Moshe <eyal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 14:14:02 +0200

Hi all,

I've installed Squid2 PATCH2 on FBSD 3 on P-200 w/256 MB SDRAM and total
of 13 GB of SCSI UW HDs on 2940. This computer is supposed to act as a
transparent proxy on my network (we have 384 Kb/s internet connection
with about 120 concurrent modem users). The proxy has 10 MBps connection
and we have a 10 MBps Hub. The router (which also act as an access
server) is Cisco AS5260.

I'm using Calamaris log analyzer and it tells me that the HIT kb/s is
about 0.2-0.3kb/s which is really awful.. when I told my router not to
forward the web packets to the proxy server (and some users, about 40)
used the proxy server through their browser, the HIT kb/s was about 1.8
kb/s which is much better.

The reason I've installed this proxy was to increase the speed. Please
let me know what can I do in order to make this transparent proxy act
much more faster.

Thanks in advance,
Eyal Moshe,
InfoMall Ltd.