Re: Some questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 02:11:48 +0100

udo.wolter@charite.de wrote:

> 3) Are there plans for the future to also cache FTP-connections?
> Sometimes we have more FTP-KBytes (mostly the same stuff -> good
> for caching) than HTTP-KBytes, so this would be a nice feature.

Squid does cache FTP for WWW clients.

See squid-users archives on why FTP isn't cached for FTP clients
(basically FTP isn't designed for caching at the protocol level).

> 4) Is there a utility to read the contents of the files
> cache_swap_log.00, cache_swap_log.01, etc. ?

They does not contain much interesting information to read. Mostly MD5
digest of the URL (not the URL) and object timestamps. See the source
for file format description (_storeSwapLogData in src/structs.h. flags
is same as StoreEntry flags and defined in enums.h).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker