Re: HTTP POST, Query String, and Squid v2.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 01:55:04 +0100

C. Jon Larsen wrote:

> Squid sometimes logs the request, sometimes it does not, but always
> no page is returned. My point, or question, really, is that you
> should never have a query string as part of a POST URI/URL, right?

It is perfectly legal to send a query string on a POST request.

A quite likely casuse (if you upgraded from Squid 1.X) is if the CGI
program is broken and expects a extra CRLF after POST requests. See
RFC2068 (end of section 4.1) for a suitable note on this issue...

If your problem is this CRLF issue then setting
persistent_client_posts off
in Squid 2.1 may help you work around this problem.

> Nothing in the HTTP specs seems to be exactly on point.

It is. POST is defined as using a URL, and query string is part of the
URL syntax without restriction to specific methods.

CGI is also well defined for POST requests with a query string, and such
requests is used by many CGI programs to avoid having a hidden
parameters in the forms.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker