RE: Question of which to choose

From: Williams Jon <WilliamsJon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:03:20 -0600

Here's my top-10 list of reasons Squid is better.

1) Almost any unix, no matter how poorly coded, has better I/O performance
than NT.
2) Any properly-configured unix box is more secure than a
properly-configured NT box.
3) The MS Proxy Server is currently flawed in that it seems to only know how
to either proxy or go direct, but not both.
4) This mail list is much better support than I ever got from MS, even as a
Premium Support Partner.
5) If you don't like a function in squid, you can do something about it
immediately and not have to wait for MS to do it (i.e. "It'll be working in
the next release.")
6) Even if you don't code yourself, squid has a much larger pool of
developers who are enthusiastic about their jobs writing code for it than MS
will ever have.
7) Squid is on the forefront of technology, including memory, disk,
performance, and bandwidth-shaping tools that don't currently exist in NT.
8) Squid on Linux runs fairly well on a 486 with 32MB of RAM, so if money is
tight, it's possible to pull an old box back into service.
9) Squid is a direct decendant of ARPA's Harvest. If you look at the ads of
all the modern proxies, they're either based on squid or harvest (i.e. Cache
Raq, Network Appliance's NetCache, etc.) In fact, I think that some of MS's
code is based on concepts from Harvest/Squid.
10) Three words, "NO FEDERAL LAWSUIT"

Jon