Re: Fw: Proxying PHP Pages

From: John Dilley <jad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:40:46 -0800

>Single cache log. With squid, you can tell if a hit was fresh or stale
>by a tag in the log; see the source for a definative list.

    Only when talking to the origin server, though. Squid cannot determine
when it returns a document within its TTL that has been modified on the
origin server. I was wondering if you had a way to estimate how many
documents were being returned stale unbeknownst to the cache.

    Still, while it can not see the invisible or predict the future, having
a tool gain a better understanding of the impact of your cache's
refresh_patterns is a good thing!

>The difficult part, of course, is validating this assertion; I'd welcome
any thoughts.

    Aye, there's the rub... I'd be happy to take a look over your WCW draft
and give you some feedback. (Also got a dozen DAIS'99 papers to referee so
no promises for a timely response :-). I've been thinking of putting
together a submission as well but time is running short! Regards,

        -- jad --

 John Dilley <jad@hpl.hp.com>