HTTP Compression & Squid

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:17:44 -0500

With the recently addition of HTTP compression to Mozilla, I thought it
would be a good idea to start adding a feature to squid to automagically
allow compressed data to be sent to the client.

Basically this involves handling two types of headers from the client,
Accept-Encoding for HTTP/1.0 and Transfer-Encoding for HTTP/1.1.

As you can see from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/apache/gzip/, adding
compression significantly speeds up client access by up to 30% on a 28.8
modem.

The biggest problem I see is that gzip eats CPU, so obviously gzip -9 won't
be the prefered compression method on large servers :)

There should be ACL's setup to handle gzip'ing, ie, I should be able to
control what ips, what types of files, etc that will be gziped if requested
to be.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com