Re: HTTP Compression & Squid

From: Jeff Barrow <jeffb-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:40:29 -0600

A better solution might be to automatically add the Accept-encoding: gzip to
all upstream requests and flag the file on disk as being compressed using
gzip and if a client doesn't support gzip automatically gunzip it
on-the-fly... make the web servers compress the data for us. :)

We could also leave a background process walking the storelog looking for
uncompressed files matching a pattern (why compress the uncompressible?) and
compressing them, but I'd suggest leaving that alone for now.