Re: OFFTOPIC: Solaris priority paging and squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:49:07 +0100

Bertold Kolics wrote:

> I have read it on the sunmanagers list. I can give you a URL:
> http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/priority_paging.html

It sounds like a reasonable thing to enable for a Squid system. As most
I/O by Squid is small it is possible that it gets classified as random
I/O (If I remember correctly the limit is 32KB) and thus this may have a
huge impact on memory management effiency. And as SUN them selves state
this paging model is likely to be the default once enought user feedback
has been collected.

> (but I am not sure for 100% this is the page you are looking for :-)).

It was a nice page. Enought technical information to explain how it
works if you know the basics of VM management. Nice to see that SUN
eventually fixes performance problems. I made an RFE for this back in
1995, and 3 years later they understands that it is a problem and does
something about it rather than trying to work around it.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker