Re: download bandwidth controlling ?

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:54:21 +0800

Alen Muzinic broadcast into the internet electron swarm:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 11:16:27PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> >
> > > when a few clients connected through 33.600 dialup leased line
> > > start downloading few big files from link, squid will try to
> > > download the files in usual way, it can of course overload the
> > > link (even 2 mbit) for some time;
> >
> > Only if you aren't using quick_abort and the clients aborts their
> > connection.
> >
> > As long as there is a client listening to the request Squid downloads
> > the object at the same speed as the client receives it. (except for a
> > internal 64KB buffer and TCP send & receive queues of up to 64KB each)
>
> What about delay pools? Can't they limit downloading speed to
> xxx bytes/sec,or maybe I got it all wrong.

They can, but they also go away if all clients abort an object and quick_abort
doesn't kick in and abort it, since the delay pool is associated with the
client, and when there's no clients left, there's no pool to associate with the
object.

David.