Re: cascading squid proxies.... ? is it possible?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:29:30 +0100

Mark.Lucking@swisscom.com wrote:

> I would like to cascade several squid proxy servers together,
> which is possible (I think) ... but I am unable to work out
> which of the 2.7 million options available is the one I need
> to tell the proxy to forward all its requests to another proxy...

First you have to decide on how you'd like to lay out your cache
hierarchy.

* Hierarchical structure

* Flat array structure ala CARP

* Hybrid

* Other (*1)

Then you use cache_peer in your squid.conf files to specify the needed
relationships between your caches (if needed).

*1: There exists some patches to Squid for various exotic cache
relationships.

Which setup that is optimal depends on your network layout, user base,
cache sizes, browser configurations, communication costs and possibly
some unknown factors..

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker