Re: --enable-async-io code status

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:09:21 +0100

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> It is? I've been running with it since it appeared, and it works fine.
> In fact the Debian package of squid has it on by default, too, and
> that is being used widely without any problems AFAIK.
>
> Consider it non-experimental on at least Linux with glibc-2.0.7

Platforms for which it could be considered non-experimental is probably
Linux with glibc-2.0.7 and Solaris 2.6?

Note: If I remember correctly there are some patches for glibc 2.0.7
which may be required.. If there are then these patches are most likely
included in recent versions of both RedHat and Debian glibc-2.0.7
packages.

About having --enable-async-io enabled by default. Perhaps this is good,
perhaps not. --enable-async-io is mostly useful if your proxy is heavy
loaded and haves CPU time to waste. If your proxy is lightly loaded then
it may actually slows things down (althought not by any noticeable
amount).

If you have async-io enabled and find that your Squid server runs out of
CPU then disabling async-io and adding some more memory for disk I/O
buffers might be a good idea, or get a faster CPU and keep async-io ;-).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker