Re: squid -k shutdown : still squid processes

From: Peter C. Norton <spacey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:11:40 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 10:20:24PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Richard van Drimmelen wrote:
>
> > All three DON'T shutdown my proxy server !!
> > The only way to take squid offline is by killing the "RunCache" and the
> > "(squid) -sY" processes by hand.
>
> If you are using RunCache and like squid -k shutdown to work then use
> --enable-kill-parent-hack. The purpose of this "hack" is to
> automatically kill RunCache when you tell Squid to exit.

Instead of runcache, I have to recommend Dan Bernstein's daemontools. It
establishes a mutex in a directory that has some other info so that if you
use the "supervise" program to run squid you can't accidently run another
copy. Runcache doesn't seem to have this intelligence.

> Also note that RunCache is not really needed today. Squid already does
> this by it's "daemon" mode (enabled by default, disabled with the -N
> option).

Does it detect another running squid?

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of Darkness"