Re: squid -k shutdown : still squid processes

From: <johnjohn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:33:50 -0800

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 05:11:40PM -0500, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 10:20:24PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Richard van Drimmelen wrote:
> >
> > > All three DON'T shutdown my proxy server !!
> > > The only way to take squid offline is by killing the "RunCache" and the
> > > "(squid) -sY" processes by hand.
> >
> > If you are using RunCache and like squid -k shutdown to work then use
> > --enable-kill-parent-hack. The purpose of this "hack" is to
> > automatically kill RunCache when you tell Squid to exit.
>
> Instead of runcache, I have to recommend Dan Bernstein's daemontools. It
> establishes a mutex in a directory that has some other info so that if you
> use the "supervise" program to run squid you can't accidently run another
> copy. Runcache doesn't seem to have this intelligence.

I have to agree with this recommendation of running squid using
``supervise''.

supervise will restart squid if it unexpectedly dies.

supervise maintains status information.

if squid is ``supervised'', you can control its run status and send
it signals without getting collisions.

my squid startup looks something like:

supervise /var/run/squid/ \
/usr/local/squid/bin/squid &