RE: --enable-async-io code status

From: Jeff Madison <jeff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:32:15 -0700

Gentlemen,

I noticed this message this morning and thought a problem that I am having
may be of interest to you. Below is a message that I posted to the list
last night and describes a problem that many who use -enable-async-io are
encountering. I run Solaris 2.6_x86 with all patches. See the message
below:

----Begin----
I have been working with squid for about a year now and it has been great
fun. I have come across an issue that is causing us some serious headaches
at this time. We run 2 what I would call large caches, the systems are Quad
XEON 400, 1GB or RAM, and 54GB Hardware Level RAID Arrays. The problem I am
having is that for speed and load reasons I have compiled
with -enable-async-io. With this option enable Squid appears to "forget" or
loose track of what and how many items it has in it's cache directory. I
saw a message some time back that indicated that if you deleted the swap.*
files in the cache directory that Squid would be forced to rebuild the
swap-state file when it was restarted. This proved to be true. I would
start Squid and it would say it only had approx 60000 objects in the cache
directory, hard to believe when it's using 40 GB of drive space. After
stopping Squid, removing swap.* files from cache directory and restating
Squid it would report that it had over 2 million objects after is was done
rebuilding. The problem is that with this much data squid takes hours to
rebuild and with the load we place it under it chokes and dies before it
ever finishes rebuilding forcing a restart and restarting the rebuild. We
are running Squid 2.0.Patch2. My question is has this bug been fixed and in
what version or does anyone have any suggestions.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jeff Madison
Systems Engineer
(801)924-0900 x 101