Re: Patch to mime.conf for mp3 files.

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 7 Jan 1999 21:46:21 +0100

In article <cistron.199901071458.OAA12258@saracen.bts.co.uk>,
David J Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk> wrote:
>> Without this patch windows98 changes the extension of any .mp3
>> file into .au (AUch!)
>
>I think you mean Internet Explorer.

Oh,probably.. I try not to use Windows and sometimes weeks go by without
me touching any M$ product. But I had to help a friend install internet
access on his PC yesterday evening and that's when I found this fluke.

>Second guessing file types is a
>known IE problem.

Right

>This does not exist in the current master IANA media type list, you
>will need to use something like audio/x-mpeg3 and petition for an
>official media type. (See:
>ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types)

I don't plan on doing that, I've got better things to do. Let the
author of winamp do that :).

But apache for example comes with a mime.types file which includes:

audio/mpeg mpga mp2 mp3

I think it'd be best if squid just followed the defacto standard in this case.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)