Re: Decurity concern: cachemgr & GET method ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:42:14 +0100

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Sure. AFAIK, there is no technical problem with that. Some developers are
> against moving Squid closer to an origin server and adding HTML to the
> manager output, that's all.

In this case I am in this category. The authentication security issues
with cachemgr.cgi is easy to solve, and there are benefits in keeping
the Squid interface at a machine parsable level (which rarely is
suitable for human eyes). Lets not forget automated monitoring and
statistics collection.

In my opinion the current cachemgr.cgi is merely a reference
implementation on how to get the information from Squid. A lot of work
is required (and probably more information from Squid as well) to turn
this into something that is really useful.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker