Re: getting Squid logfiles into a database

From: Chris Foote <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:57:35 +1030 (CST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Gavin Cameron wrote:

> It would be helpful, I think it would be, to be able to get your access
> logs put into a database, and I think it could be done in much the same
> way as authentication
>
> The directives could be something like
> cache_access_log_program: name of the logging program
> cache_access_log_program_children: how many logging programs to have
> running
> and it would accept native format messages (one per line).
>
> Does anyone have something like this running?

Yep, we've got a Perl program which tails access.log files to do this -
it ignores ICP queries and HTTP requests from neighbours (it has a simple
neighbours config file), and spits the entries across to a central UDP
logging box which works out where to classify them.

It would be nice to have squid log to a pipe instead of tailing the
log file, but it only gets rotated once a day, and very few records
go missing.

If it's of any use, let me know and I'll get permission from the script
author to release it.

Cheers,

Chris Foote SE Net
Technical Manager 222 Grote Street
SE Network Access Adelaide SA 5000
e-mail chris@senet.com.au Australia
phone : (08) 8221 5221 PGP Public Key available from
fax: (08) 8221 5220 http://www.senet.com.au/PGP
support: (08) 8221 5792