Re: FDs & linux again.

From: Fraser Campbell <fraser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:22:03 -0500 (EST)

I'm not sure about your specific problem, but if it is related to FDs I
would recommend you upgrade to Linux kernel 2.2. I did it late last week
and so far it's been running great. After upgrading to kernel 2.2 squid's
available FDs went from 256 to 1024. If that proves to be not enough I
believe it's a very simple task to increase available FDs ... something
like: echo 2048 > /proc/somefile

There are numerous other improvements in kernel 2.2 which will likely
improve your cache. Yes, the 2.2 kernel is not officially released yet
but it is running well for me. <Debian Plug> I am using Debian 2.0 with
some upgrades from the BETA Debian 2.1 & 2.2 distributions. I never
compiled one line of code (except the kernel linux 2.2.0-pre6) which I
really like. I am running Squid 2.1.2 (IIRC) which is packaged up and
downloadable from ftp.debian.org.</Debian Plug>

--
Sincerely,
Fraser Campbell